[App_rpt-users] RANGER network

Jim Duuuude telesistant at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 12 17:09:27 UTC 2011

Now guys, don't-cha think the first thing that came to my mind was "autopatch"??? :-)

On a purely simplex system, you are NEVER going to be able to get a workable autopatch
anywhere NEAR suitable use in an emergency situation.

About the best you can hope for in a simplex autopatch is a decent VOX on the side from the
phone world into the radio world (audio from the phone system to the radio transmitter).
In REAL LIFE HERE (not in theory) there are plenty of unintentional noise sources in a telephone
call. Any call the would be made (911, AAA, tow truck, etc) would be to a dispatcher, most likely
at a dispatch center, and all the background noises, operators mouthpiece rubbing, etc, not to
mention any telecom issues (noise, transmission impairment, etc) would completely render the
communications unusable (reception from the radio user would get lost because of the system
'thinking' the telephone user was talking, or still talking during a time when reception from the radio
user is critical). If the radio user is not keyed, the system would have to be relied on to not transmit
unless the phone side *REALLY* was talking (to them) , which is JUST NOT going to happen realistically.

This is why I never even mentioned the autopatch possibility.

JIM WB6NIL