[App_rpt-users] How2 get radio stuff working with Dahdi???

"Jeremy R. Geeo [KDØEAV]" kd0eav at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 02:10:18 UTC 2011

On 11/14/11 19:31, Ken Page wrote:
> Hi Jeremy,
>
> Yep, love Gentoo. It's the best! hihi!

I'm addicted to the flexibility of it all - it does have it's superior
features; but it can consume quite a lot of time in achieving a very
optimal environment. Been doing Gentoo over ten years and haven't found
anything that comes close...

> Thanks for all the good info. It can take ages to Google and muddle
> your way through all this stuff sometimes and there's no point in
> trying to re-invent the wheel when others have already traveled these
> roads and know the answers.

Agreed. This is actually good you've posted as much of this has gone
undocumented on my part. A little here, a little there... I've got it
running on a number of Gentoo systems real and virtual.

> So, we've commented out a few things and emerged the dahdi stuff and
> the "make install_usbradio" now works and Asterisk is up again.

In Asterisk-land - dahdi and zaptel are two of the same beast... in
short, DO NOT install any of the dahdi userland tools. In fact, if you
just want to use a usb dongle you actually need very little. More info
inline to follow... I have never succeeded w/ DAHDI - zaptel has only
worked from the AllStar sources.... Kernel version is going to be very
important here... are you able to run a "less modern" kernel ??

> In terms of Asterisk, we basically did this...
> 1. install dahdi, dahdi-tools and libpri using Portage

NO. Unmerge dahdi and dahdi-tools. Don't need 'em.  ALL you need to do
at boot-up is load the ztdummy module. One line- one file...

# /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6:

ztdummy

> 2. stop your Asterisk package from building libpri and zaptel

I'm not sure that I can quote the WHY; but my experience has been that
zaptel MUST be installed from the AllStar sources... I assume there are
patches/mods to that source. I manually configure and install zaptel
with ONLY the ztdummy module.

libpri I think you can get away with stock (I'm using version from portage).

> 3. prevent building some Asterisk modules that needed extra deps or
> didn't like the new gcc

Be careful here... I've had mixed results trying to build a skimped down
system (but I know exactly what you're after; I've gone down this road
as well)... in particular, when using the zaptel drivers YOU DO NEED to
make sure that DAHDI is configured in the Asterisk configuration... they
are synonymous when it comes to Asterisk (which is a point of confusion
often).

> 4. remove the ztcfg line from the init.d script because it's not needed

Don't run/start/use any of the init scripts... we're only using the
ztdummy driver...

> 5. set the dahdi init.d scripts to start on boot
NOPE.

> However our next problem is that the TDM card is not working even
> though it's detected and started correctly. And none of the DMK URI
> radio dongles are flashing or working.

Change to zaptel. Make sure it's enabled in Asterisk (confusing; but
that's anything related to DAHDI - specifically chan_dahdi).

> So I need a shove in the right direction again sorry.
> Are there some lines in some of the configs that need changing to
> point stuff at Dahdi instead of Zaptel perhaps?

I can probably tell you more about what doesn't work here than does ;)

Use the provided zaptel.