[App_rpt-users] Elvis is in the building!

George Zolla gazolla at san.rr.com
Thu Apr 19 21:49:17 UTC 2012

Someone said running AllStar on a Mac would be like seeing Elvis. Ha! With help from several of you, I have a great little node running AllStar on my Mac. I think Elvis would approve! My configuration:

Mac mini - 2GB RAM, Snow Leopard running AllStar in a Parallels Virtual Machine
Alinco DR-135 2M radio (with 9 pin data port)
DMK - URI (http://www.dmkeng.com/URI_Order_Page.htm)
URI Cable from Marshall Oldman (http://www.uricables.com/)
Powerex 30 Amp Switching Power Supply

The system has a small footprint, it is quiet and does't need a keyboard, mouse or monitor because I can use Mac screen sharing to log on to the Mini from my iMac. When I hooked the cables up I didn't even need to tune the radio interface - it worked great out of the box. I only had a few small changes to the usbradio.conf file and it started working. The audio is exceptionally clear. I have connected several nodes simultaneously with participants using the web transceiver and RF.

I want to thank everyone,especially Jim Dixon for this great system! I have only been a Ham for a couple of months and I learned a lot putting this together.

Have  great day!

George
K6GAZ
AllStar Node# 28403