[App_rpt-users] ECHOLINK CONNECTIONS

Bryan D. Boyle bdboyle at bdboyle.com
Mon Jan 16 13:48:56 UTC 2012

On 1/16/12 8:15 AM, Bradley Haney wrote:
> nope..  numbers don't even match...   i connceted my droid to the link and
> the number that poped up was different each time.

If you're not connecting directly from the droid/samsung/iPhone/???
handset to the node and going through a proxy, you are picking up the
proxy node number rather than your own (even though , since you
authenticate to the proxy, the intermediate node is what actually makes
the connection to the end point).  That's what Echolink sends out;
app_rpt is only displaying what the Echolink software sends it, so, it's
not an app_rpt problem.

Just demoed it here to see what's going on while looking at a tail -f on
my asterisk messages file.  Connected via a public proxy (which may
change from time to time, even from handset to handset standing next to
each other...just did it here on my node with an iPhone and android
something or other...two apps, two handsets, two different node
numbers...then connected directly with my iPhone...and it picked up my
proper number, not the proxy node number...) It's not that big of a
deal.  I don't announce Echolink connections when they connect...I'm
more concerned with the Allstar nodes correctly reporting than people
driving by aimlessly connecting through Echo.

app_rpt is NOT a native Echolink application, so, it depends on
downloading the authenticated node list on a regular basis (every 5
minutes iirc, so as not to overload the echolink servers and probably
get Jonathan's shorts in a twist...) instead of interactively
authenticating.

The proxies are always there (well, as much as anything that is run by
volunteers...), so, they're in the list more often than not, which is
why you can start the app on the handset, authenticate to a proxy, and
almost immediately get connected to an Allstar system versus connecting
directly and getting an 'unauthorized' reply when you try and connect to
an allstar node.

IF you're using a proxy, you have no guarantee that you will get the
same one each time, or ever get to a proxy to begin with.

So...why is this a concern?

--
Bryan WB0YLE
In this world, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.

Sent from my MacBook Pro.