[App_rpt-users] From the whacky idea department

Alan Adamson adamson_alan at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 22 19:46:47 UTC 2012

Ok, so I've been playing with Ramesh's Free*Star distribution.  And it got
me to thinking.

I wonder, if you used an RTCM to take the analog signal off an Analog FM
repeater from a D-Star transmitter (assuming you were coming off the
discriminator at the repeater).. And you pushed that audio across the
internet back to your allstar box.  Now on a separate node, you used a URI
to interconnect to a GMSK node adapter.  You then created a link between the
RTCM and the URI/GSMK modem.  I wonder if all the timing/codec
compression/decompression, etc would render the captured D-Star audio
useless such that the URI to GMSK couldn't decode it?

What I'm thinking is if you were running Free*Star on the same box as
Allstar (or a separate one), potentially, you could then serve the data to
the D-Star environments and back.  All using AllStar for *linking* thereby
getting rid of this whole D-Star linking stuff (callsign hell).. One thing I
don't know is about DTMF to link setup, etc. (but let's ignore that for a
minute).

There are obviously issues with separating the FM non-D-Star users from the
D-Star uses at the repeater to route one to one RTCM and one to another.

I'm just wondering if anyone has wandered this path already and proved or
dis-proved the potential theory?

Yeah, I know, I have way too much spare time on my hands.. But hey, it's ham
radio right? :).

Alan