[App_rpt-users] Remote Base information

Wayne Hale waynehale at mac.com
Sun Mar 4 19:03:39 UTC 2012

I had an Allstarlink Remote Base for a short time using a Yaesu FT-897,
URI and a small fanless Linux box.  Worked great on VHF/UHF but my
personal experience in attempting to tune SSB from a keypad was an
exercise in frustration.  Strong signals weren't so much of a problem
but weak signals or those slightly off frequency from a HF traffic net
were.  Not all functions of the radio are available via CAT commands
which was a major problem for me.

There are Allstar stanzas available for controlling the FT-897
specifically but I'm sure it could be done with other radios as well.
Do a Google search on Ham Radio via the Internet and it will turn up
many different ways to approach the problem. Some require additional
hardware, some work without a PC involved at all.  W4MQ.COM and
Glentekcorp.com are two that popped up for me.  At least one solution
I've seen uses two interface boxes that connect the faceplate of a
radios such as a Yaesu FT-857 to the radio via the Internet, all
functions available from the front panel then become available as the
control panel is right in front of you while the radio is somewhere
remote.  Audio in both directions is passed and no computer interface is
used.  This negates of course the radio being able to be used by
multiple users unless they each had a radio control head and some way to
identify who was connected when.

Wayne
node 28146