[App_rpt-users] Debian - Allstar install - from scratch - Phase 1

Alan Adamson adamson_alan at hotmail.com
Wed May 23 01:44:48 UTC 2012

In an effort to document what I did, I'm going to do it in phases.  Here is
the basic Debian install process.

a) I downloaded the netinst files from this link -
http://www.debian.org/distrib/, I used the 32bit one for an N270 install
that I put IRLP on, and the 64bit one for an N2800 install that I did the
Allstar install on.
b) I then used the bootable usb creator from pendrivelinux.com - get it here
for windows
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/
c) you select a distribution, browse to the ISO you just downloaded above,
select the usb drive and either format or not and select create. .what
you'll have is a bootable usb drive with the distribution you selected above
on it to boot from.
d) setup the right boot order in the bios on your mother board, and poof,
you should be able to install debian from that process.  You'll need the box
connected to the network so that it can go get all the right modules.

I pretty much created a vanilla install, only thing I did install was ssh
and sql,  and the last selection which I can't remember right now but was
core related.  When it was ready to reboot, I had a Debian install done.

Ok, phase 2 will be around what you need to do before you install anything
further.

Alan