[App_rpt-users] irlp channel driver Q? ...

Don Hackler donh at sigma.net
Wed May 30 02:55:01 UTC 2012

After a month of two playing with Allstar, I know this is the future.  I
came at it with the advantage that I have been doing asterisk based
phone systems for a year or two, so this really felt right.  I tie the
Allstar box to my Asterisk infrastructure with IAX2.   Unfortunately, I
needed IRLP to talk to some friends in other parts of the country, so I
finally broke down and installed IRLP on a separate computer and a
dedicated local simplex radio.  It's pretty useless for me unless I'm
within about 1/2 a mile of my house, but it gives me an IRLP option.
(The local IRLP capable repeater owners are not too anxious for repeater
users to come in a change IRLP links.  I guess they've gotten yelled at
too many times for having a user violate some IRPL rule...)

I used the crappiest old computer I had laying around (a P4 w/512megs
ram...) and a surplus Motorola radio.
After hooking up a couple of URIs, the IRLP board was a pain.  It
required separate connections to the sound card, and it needed a drive
power cable extended out of the computer.  It's pretty ugly with cables
hang out every which way, so, I'll have to put it in an enclosure soon.
(It probably made more sense when computers didn't have the parallel
ports mounted on the back panel... then you could stash the IRLP board
inside the computer).   It was pretty simple to get the software
running, but it doesn't really do a lot, either.
I really hate wasting the electricity and space for another dedicated
machine, though...