[App_rpt-users] HP Compaq t5510 as allstar box

Ramesh Dhami, VA3UV/M ramesh at va3uv.com
Wed May 30 12:01:06 UTC 2012

Hi David:

I use these HP thin clients for several projects!

On the Allstar / app_rpt side, they will not handle the DSP processing in a full-duplex application (I did not try half-duplex).  They do work well with the simple_usb driver and half-duplex.  I have a couple in service with this arrangement.  So one can say replace an existing irlp node attached to a controller with one of these babies!

For my FREE STAR* project (www.freestar.us) they work very well in full duplex mode, with 2 RF modules since we use an external GMSK modem for the heavy processing.

Note - I have been using the T5710 (1.2GHz) models, with 256MB RAM.  I have one T5500 running an IRLP node.  I believe you will be fine with the T5500 for a 'simple_usb' / half-dupe node.

I too like the fact that these babies run off 12V DC (13.8 is fine) and draw around 650mA.  Cost wise, the cheapest I have seen is a lot of 20 for $25 CDN - missed that purchase by $5!

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Ramesh.