[App_rpt-users] Fwd: RE: please please help

Shane Morris edgecomberts at gmail.com
Sat Nov 10 18:58:01 UTC 2012

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "Shane Morris" <edgecomberts at gmail.com>
Date: 11/11/2012 5:56 AM
Subject: RE: [App_rpt-users] please please help
To: "Eric Guth" <eric at efratnetworks.com>

Hi Eric,

I understand completely - the brain drain is alive and well in Australia
too, let me assure you. I am probably one of five people in my local area
of 20,000 people who know what I know, and certainly the only one who uses
open source solutions.

I can also understand your motivation with the "distributed nodes" - I
personally would love to see such a system exist. I'm going to make a
suggestion for you.

I know there are Real Time Linux kernels available that would give you the
deterministic timing needed to operate a RTCM alike system. However getting
such a kernel to run on an RPi would be an uphill battle that I don't think
anyone would enjoy.

There are alternatives however, such as the excellent Cubieboard product
I'm planning on buying for Christmas. This board is a 1GHz processor with
HDMi and SATA as well as both audio in and out and 96 I/Os. But here's the
kicker (and why I'm suggesting it) - the Allwinner A10 is a completely open
source chip.

That means that a compilation of a RT kernel would be a trivial exercise.

None of this "Oh, our boot process is proprietary and you need to use a
patched kernel" stuff that Ramesh, Jim and I run into with the RPi. I
personally think its a load of bollocks to tell the truth. But hey, I don't
own the company, I just use their products. Plenty of the "Consume and use,
and don't ask questions" going on.

Eric, the best part about the board, apart from the open source thing, is
price: US$49. Ain't that a beauty? So $11 more than an RPi and its much
more likely to do what you want. Fair deal to me.

Www.cubieboard.org should get you out of trouble - they have a page on
indiegogo too, I'm planning on getting two "Rich Packs" - one for myself
and one for a good friend of mine who loves open source.

Eric, I hope this helps - of course the benefits of adminning a familiar
system and knowing your way around the software would make your distributed
node effort a piece of cake. I am, of course, available should you need me,
I've always wanted to play around with embedded real time, now I might have
a chance and an impetuous. :)

Thanks Eric, and best of luck on your efforts!

Shane.