[App_rpt-users] USB Radio Commands

Ken ke2n at cs.com
Wed Oct 10 08:55:51 UTC 2012

When you are injecting into a part of the audio chain that does not require
pre-emphasis, you might still want limiting.

In that case, you set

txlimonly=yes

At one time several people reported they were getting pretty
horrible-sounding clipping when the URI was driven beyond full scale.

Subsequent to that I found the real problem was that when you use composite
audio the software will happily attempt to generate a number bigger than 16
bits when you use gain settings for voice and tone that total >1000.  The
restriction that these two numbers not add to more than 1000 (for composite
audio) *is* documented and is the real solution to that issue.

However, it's not inconceivable that somebody might want limiting without
pre-emphasis, if the limiting in the radio was inadequate.

Ken