[App_rpt-users] Noob Question

Barry Berg phoggberg at gmail.com
Fri Aug 2 15:41:03 UTC 2013

I am having problems getting ACID up and running correctly....  (As if from a noob that is a surprise for the group)   Let me take a minute and describe what I am trying to do before I actually get to the problem.

I am working with a team involved with search and rescue efforts in respect to flood response.   Typically we are working in North Dakota, which compared to other states has a much lower population concentration.   That reflects in the Ham population as well.   With fewer HAMs there are fewer Amateur facilities, and due to the flatness (honestly, most buildings in my experience are no more than 3 or 4 stories) range on them is relatively localized.   However, the flooding can cover a great distance.   We have remote teams working 30 or more miles from our base in a major population center.  In order to stay in contact with them we are looking to use app_rpt to establish portable remote bases that can connect to the internet from either a governmental internet access (CAT 5 Ethernet) or a portable cell phone type hotspot.  We will not be using HAM frequencies, but rather commercially assigned frequencies that we are authorized to use.  Each unit will be a remote Base.   The idea is to tie these remote units into a single combined network using multiple computers using URIx interfaces / Lox Boards.  These I would like to bridge into a single Asterisk Server conference bridge so that any transmission goes out on all remote bases simultaneously, similar to a reflector in the D-Star world.   The users all understand circuit discipline very well, and I am not concerned with doubling.  In fact I actually want a shared "network" between operational units for situational awareness purposes.  However I would like to block access to anyone not specifically authorized from at least the internet side.

Multiple "base stations" (at least 3 or 4) would also be used for monitoring and command and control purposes.  I was thinking of using the windows application (iaxrpt) available with the XPAR project and usb headphone/mic for the base station.   Being able to generate "picture phone" setups of live motion video between base stations on the asterisk network rather than skype etc would also be a plus.   Literally the network would cover operational distances in the 30 - 100 mile range and command and control in the thousand mile range.

Now my questions.  I generated the ACID system on a netbook connected to a URI usb interface.     I have ssh working fine, but not yet RDP access to the server.  When I bring up the iaxrpt it tries to connect but the connection fails very quickly less than 10 sec.   I suspect that its a login/password problem.  Any hints on getting that to work.  All this is happening within my LAN accessing the server with direct ip addressing.  There is another problem like how to access the server from outside the firewall, I set up a dyndns.org connection, but haven't got that working at all.  How do I set and change the id (node number -- I used 1210 as my node number, the password is 123456, and the ip is 192.168.15.50) I have tried several times to gog in, changing the information in /etc/asterisk/rpt.conf  but with no luck.  How does one change the password when after to maintain security in the wild?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.   I am sure this is a classic case of tightening up the nut behind the keyboard, but after two days of messing with it and carefully ensuring that the build did not have any errors, I am now at a loss.

Anyway I am just trying to take baby steps here first connecting the app and then secondly pushing xmit to see if the red led will light up on the URI.

Barry, K0BSB