[App_rpt-users] Building a simulcast system

Geoff w5omr at att.net
Sat Aug 10 04:17:23 UTC 2013

On 08/09/2013 12:24 PM, Bob - AF6D wrote:

> I have finally secured all three locations for our repeaters and now
> it's time to deploy Allstar. I want each repeater (MSF 5000) to first
> have an Arcom RC-210 to which the Allstar interface is applied to port
> 1 or even the auxiliary port. The RC-210 has many valuable features
> and is generally feature-rich. I am old that this cannot be done
> especially when simulcasting; could someone explain why not so that my
> mind will drop it? Thank you. We primarily want the RC-210 so that we
> may RF link each site. In the event of an earthquake down goes all links.
>
> Otherwise, what is my shopping list?

Here's one way of looking at it...

If all sites are able to talk to each other, then I would suggest a link
repeater.

Each repeater site has it's repeater and a link radio.
The link radios talk to -one- link repeater.  Meaning, someone keys up a
repeater, the COS logic goes hi or lo (however configured) and key's the
link radio, which transmits to the link repeater, which all link radios
hear, and key their respective repeaters.

At the site where the link repeater is, connect an Allstar node.  The
allstar connection hits the node, is shared by all repeaters on the link.

The link repeater has to have no tones, to make it quicker in response,
and no tail, to keep the repeaters from "ping-pong"'ing for eternity...

What frequency should the link repeater be? Whatband has got the least
amount of usage, ergo, the least amount of possible intermod?

For example:
So, lets say your repeater and link repeater and allstar node are on top
of Mt. Wilson in SoCal. You want a shot to the northern valley area, out
to Riverside/San Bernadino area, and down I-5 to somewhere between LA
and San Diego.

That's 5 repeaters and 3 link radios.
The RC-210 has 3 inputs;
    Repeater
    Link repeater
    Allstar URI (Audio in, audio out, COS, PTT & Ground)

North Repeater
Link radio

Repeater
Hub ---------------- East Repeater & link Radio
Link Repeater

South Repeater
Link Radio

It's up to you as to what frequencies you want to use.

You might check Radio Mobile Online
(http://www.cplus.org/rmw/rmonline.html) and make sure you are meeting
your RF signal path requirements.

That's one way...