[App_rpt-users] Cylon Suppression

David Osborn david.osborn at manx.net
Sat Aug 31 12:01:12 UTC 2013

I followed with interest the discussion on accessing command mode with a
macro, and the innovative ideas to achieve the desired result. That was very
informative and speaks to the flexibility that Jim and others built-in to
AllStar (Kudos, guys).

I'm looking at a similar project but I keep getting attacked by the Cylons J

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ccKPSVQcFk )

Our hub node (2483) hosts the EchoLink gateway. It has no RF hardware
connected to it (then it wouldn't be a hub!).

If a user on one of our other nodes wants to make an EchoLink connection, he
has to go into command mode to access the hub first, then (after the Cylons
have had their say), they enter the command to make the EchoLink connection,
and so-on.

That works well, but it's a little long-winded.

What I would like to do is create a "Speed Dial" for a selected list of
EchoLink nodes, and Macros appear to be ideal for this. The idea is that the
Macro would accept a 3-digit suffix to connect, and a different 3-digit
suffix to disconnect, like this:

[functions]

6 = macro

[macro]

101 = *42483*33338712#  ;Connect echolink

102= ...Next connect macro

201= *42483*13338712# ;Disconnect echolink

202=...Next Disconnect macro

This means that, keying *6101 will connect to the first EchoLink node
(GD4HOZ, as it happens!), and keying *6201 will disconnect it.

It works, except...

Because there's no gap in the macro execution, the Cylons stick their
galactic oars in ("By Your Command") and it actually comes out of the remote
EchoLink node - which would come as a shock to the node owner.

What I'm looking for is an approach that will ideally circumvent the Cylon
message (even though I do kinda like it) and just get-on with the job of
connecting.

Perhaps a script, as Brian suggested, would do the job, by adding a delay or
two, but that would still give the command message to the local user - which
may not be a bad thing.

Has anybody else done any EchoLink "Speed Dial" trickery?

David