[App_rpt-users] Server vs Node

Brett Friermood brett.friermood at gmail.com
Sun Dec 8 22:19:19 UTC 2013

A node is the end point of a connection. If you have a radio and
connect it to AllStar, you just created a node. Just like Echolink.
However in AllStar a node can be virtual, with no connection to
physical radio hardware.

On the software side of things a node lives on a server running
Asterisk and app_rpt. Multiple nodes can live on a single server. In
most cases a node and a server are usually at the same physical
location. If you take a computer and install ACID on it, you now have
a server. You can create any number of virtual or physical nodes on
this server.

The previous emails you mention were referring to using RTCM boxes.
What these allow you to do is have a physical server in one location,
the "server", and the actual radio with an RTCM connected, the "node",
elsewhere. These are referred to in this way is because if you are
connecting to a specific node you want to know the location of the
actual radio you are going through, not so much where the server is.

I'm probably not the best at explaining it, but hope that helps. I'm
sure someone can probably explain in better fashion.

Brett KQ9N