[App_rpt-users] Editor

Bryan D. Boyle bdboyle at bdboyle.com
Mon Dec 23 17:46:40 UTC 2013

On 12/23/13 12:16 PM, Geoff Edmonson wrote:
> Some people swear by vi...
> Others swear at vi.
>
> List me it the latter column.

De gustibus non disputandum.  :)

It's old.  It's built around the days of command line only operating
systems (we don't need no stinking windows...), stringing commands
together via pipes, redirection, and 16K of core to run both the OS and
application (bank switched memory was a good thing...).

It also works. Certainly not a WYSIWYG editor...more like 'You asked for
it, you got it' whether what you asked for is what you wanted.

But, like someone else mentioned...it's ubiquitous and if you're so
inclined, consistent across all the flavor des jours [Li|U]nix systems
you'll come across.

Pico and its derivatives are great.  So is wordstar.  But, you will
always (afaik) have access to VI on a linux system.

(now, awk on the other hand....)

--
Bryan
In this world, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.

Sent from my MacBook Pro.