[App_rpt-users] Pi status?

Jim Duuuude telesistant at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 1 18:35:31 UTC 2013

No!! it DOES NOT "WORK".

1) There is some 'issue' with reliably pumping 1 channel of audio over the USB subsystem for some reason.
It may have something to do with the alsa/oss compatibility laver in the kernel. No, I have not tried porting
the native ALSA stuff to chan_simpleusb. NO, I do not have the time to do that, or even try to do that.
No, I probably never will.

2) the only seemingly viable distro, with sources that are close enough to a running kernel that are obtainable
is the Ubuntu (or debian, I am not sure, nor care which it actually is). Unfortunately, this distro comes with
openssl version 1.X (rather then the traditional 0.X) and, therefore res_crypto, which is needed for authentication
for the Allstar portal stuff will not compile, and therefore does not qualify any system built this way to be associated
with the Allstar network.

3) The above issue (with the res_crypto thing, at least) would be solved by using Asterisk 1.6 (or newer), which,
AT SOME POINT WHEN TIME AND COMPETENT TESTING *MAY* BE AVAILABLE (which it CERTAINLY is not now)
could be implemented. Parts of the code are already compatible with this (version 1.6, at least) (most of the MAJOR pieces at least).

If anyone that has the ability, time, and interest to port the native ALSA stuff to chan_simpleusb (as is used in chan_beagle,
for example), and is willing to do so with the understanding that it may be ENTIRELY FUTILE, please speak up.
If this hurdle (well, rather large mountain, actually) can be gotten over, then maybe we could look at the openssl/
res_crypto thing.

Just to give everyone out there a "heads up" that might be thinking of commenting on this, please be aware that:

1) This really, really, really is the accurate, correct, and real information about this, and if your opinion differs from this,
please dont express it here. It will not be taken positively to say the least!

2) This whole "pi mess" is an EXTREMELY SORE SUBJECT with me at this time. I have spent now, DOZENS OF HOURS
attempting to get this poo-wad to function. It has been nothing other then a HUGE WASTE OF TIME that I *REALLY*
don't have to waste.

Jim