[App_rpt-users] Simple node

Ramesh Dhami (VA3UV) Ramesh at va3uv.com
Tue Feb 12 01:48:25 UTC 2013

On 11/02/2013 8:04 PM, Alan Adamson wrote:
> All, I think I know the answer to this, but figured I'd check again… Yes
> I know I could do an RTCM (I have 5 of them already).  I'm looking to
> get another family member (new ham) up with a personal node.  Was hoping
> that someone might have done something around the Beagle Bone as the Pi
> seems to no be up for the task.  I could live with simpleusb if needed.
>
> Are there any *inexpensive* options to get to a functional simpleusb
> type node?If so, what are they?

<-- Hi Alan;  Best candidate (IMO) is a HP Thin Client - something like
the HP T5710; you can pick them up off eBay for as little as $25US (you
have to look out for them!) - then there is a mod' to remove the memory
module and install a 4GB micro-drive.  You can install ACID right off an
external (USB) CD.

The HP will run chan_simpleusb just fine.

Low cost / works great / low power (runs off 12V / 13.8VDC @ ~ 650mA).

Cheers!

Ramesh.