[App_rpt-users] Simple node

Kevin Custer kuggie at kuggie.com
Tue Feb 12 02:08:22 UTC 2013

On 2/11/2013 8:04 PM, Alan Adamson wrote:
> Simple node
>
> All, I think I know the answer to this, but figured I'd check again...
> Yes I know I could do an RTCM (I have 5 of them already).  I'm looking
> to get another family member (new ham) up with a personal node.  Was
> hoping that someone might have done something around the Beagle Bone
> as the Pi seems to no be up for the task.  I could live with simpleusb
> if needed.
>
> */Are there any *inexpensive* options to get to a functional simpleusb
> type node?/**/If so, what are they?/*

Here is the latest fad in WAN land...

Intel D2500HN Main Board (about $65)
2G memory (about $12)
16 G Solid State hard drive (about $40)
Case and PS (about $50)

So, for about $175 you can have a new box that runs the standard distro
that isn't too large and is quite reliable.  I have built 6 of these
systems that are replacing older Dell and HP machines that were junk
when I put them in service, but have served quite well.

Kevin - WJ8G
wanrepeater.net