[App_rpt-users] Fw: Chinese Radios For Nodes

Kevin Custer kuggie at kuggie.com
Tue Feb 12 15:56:16 UTC 2013

I must have to respectfully disagree with Kirk as well.  Many times,
from a real repeater site, communications can be done with very little
power.  A local coverage node (inside ones house) can be done on low
power as well.  The UV-5R will handle multiple 3 minute key-downs on low
power without turning into a plastic blob (remote base operation).
CTCSS hides most receiver inadequacies.

Not everyone has ready access to programming hardware and software need
for a Maxtrac or Radius, so these cheap Chinese radios can be moved in
frequency without effort.  Sure, they're not a Motorola, but many times
users of AllStar don't necessarily need a Motorola quality radio.

That said, one of my most favorite radios for dedicated linking is a
MaraTrac.  The VHF 100 Watt model usually is very cheap and it's easy to
convert them to a lower powered unit by snipping out several components
and using solder wick to 'bypass' the 2 final transistors.  You end up
with a 15 Watt unit that will last almost forever.

Bottom line - it's all in what you want and need.

Kevin - WJ8G