[App_rpt-users] Fwd: Re: Avoid squelch noise after receiving a signal

Shane Morris edgecomberts at gmail.com
Sun Feb 17 17:17:39 UTC 2013

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "Shane Morris" <edgecomberts at gmail.com>
Date: 18/02/2013 4:14 AM
Subject: Re: [App_rpt-users] Avoid squelch noise after receiving a signal
To: "Thomas Delmonego" <iw3amq at dnet.it>

Do you mean the tone or the "tail"?

The tone is a function of the software, although I am not versed enough to
tell you how to control that.

If you mean the tail (the carrier that clicks back after an "over") then
thats actually a part of your repeater, and not set in the app_rpt
software, as far as I'm aware, as most repeaters I've used, connected to
the internet or not, have had a tail of varying degrees (imagine a three
minute tail - ikes!).

Its probably the best idea if you don't want any tail - which I'm not even
sure if you could properly implement - that you use a tone to acknowledge
the repeater has heard you. Otherwise, you'll never know if you're getting
through. Of course, we use a short tone and tail to tell us we got in, and
we can talk through our tail on the LOX board and Simoco repeater, however,
another system I used, I wasn't able to talk through the (thankfully short)
tail.

Hope this helps!