[App_rpt-users] Suitability of boot media

Shane Morris edgecomberts at gmail.com
Sun Feb 17 21:05:20 UTC 2013

Hi all,

I am supposed to be having a HP T5630w thin client delivered to me today,
and I was planning to install PBX In A Flash on it, which was recommended
by one of the members of the list.

First up, can I install from say a 1GB stick to a 8 or 16GB stick, and
leave the larger stick semi-permanently in the machine as boot media under
the cover at the top? The thin client is quoted with only a 2GB IDE SSD,
certainly not enough for this OS, and I don't want to wait another couple
of weeks for postage on a 32GB IDE SSD.

Next question, which is the best version of PIAF to get? Nowhere that I can
see does it quote which version of Asterisk its using or whether it would
be suitable for use with the correct version for app_rpt (which is 1.4 as I
take it from numerous discussions).

Last question - this'll be running on the thin client, and as we know,
there are *some* security issues with 1.4 (of course, theres probably
security issues with 1.8 too, but they haven't been exploited yet, so I'm
not bashing 1.4, I know no piece of networked software is totally secure)
so would you recommend using this "repeater controller" box on an IAX trunk
to a 1.8 "PABX controller" box, and let the PABX face the world? I fully
intend on using the internal but offsite connections over a VPN, but to get
to the outside world and onto the PSTN it needs to go through my ITSPs,
Exetels, indial account(s).

Of course, if this is recommended, which I strongly suspect it is, I'll
have to get another thin client and load 1.8 on it, and establish the IAX
trunk, which I imagine would be a simple exercise.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Shane.