[App_rpt-users] Fwd: Re : Re: Fwd: Suitability of boot media

Shane Morris edgecomberts at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 21:07:11 UTC 2013

Not a bad effort.

Sorry I haven't responded before now, I was asleep. Grumpy bear ^.^

Ok, I can set the nodes up on a private network. I understand the
concept - simply replace the AllStar servers with one of your own.
Cool.

Now, how do I actually *do* that?

Essentially, this radio network is planned to cover a large
geographical area, and for redundancy, I want at least two app_rpt
controllers feeding a network fanout of RTCMs. Pretty much, I'm going
to wrangle that one is placed at my home, and one at my place of work,
on dual redundant fibre links, and with appropriate battery backups. I
am investigating this as we speak.

Thats the easy part - all hardware, actually, something I do well.
Where I fall down every time is the software.

Imagine I have my two... well, I guess "AllStar server" lookalikes,
since they'll be the main computers on the network to control and
conduct the network. I imagine they'd publish the links back to the
PABX system (ie, AllStar SIP service alike?), and they'd have these
thin client nodes scattered around the place, potentially at radio
sites on hills, being fed by either fibre or microwave links (Ubiquiti
gear rocks!). Anything wrong with this picture so far? I look at it
and it makes sense... so far.

Now, my two AllStar servers are being fed from the nodes, and thus the
RTCMs around the place. Connections back to the PABX network are
effected by a SIP or IAX trunk, and thus back to the PSTN. All good so
far.

So now my question is: how do I create an AllStar server lookalike? Is
there a nice guide that I can begin with, and take it from there? I
mean, these $80 T5630w's are brilliant - just don't plug a non-working
keyboard into them, they don't like booting if thats the case. I find
these have the internal flash memory wiped, but thats ok, did I really
want Windows XPe? I could, at the moment, realistically, fit another
three in my rack, if I so wished (the rest of the rack is taken up
with rectifiers and power supplies, and switch shelves and the like).
On top of the rack - its an 18RU - will host a 3D printer in the next
couple of weeks.

I don't imagine the AllStar servers themselves would be a closed
source product, especially if some of you are telling me you have some
lookalikes that you've configured to look like the AllStar network.
However, in my travels of the ohnosec website, I haven't found much
reference to that software. So... where do I start?

Thanks everyone for your help!

On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 1:40 AM, pete M <petem001 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Corey you made my day, I was pretty sure that was the answer.
>

> -----Message d'origine----- From: Corey Dean
> Sent: Monday, February 18, 2013 9:15 AM
> To: Shane Morris ; app_rpt mailing list
> Subject: Re: [App_rpt-users] Fwd: Re : Re: Fwd: Suitability of boot media
>

> You just create private node numbers that allstar doesn't know about.
>
> I think some people confuse the system with the software.  Asterisk app_rpt
> is the software, allstar is the public network they may connect to.  I have
> both Private and public nodes.  My public node has an allstar node number
> that authenticates itself to the allstar server.  My private nodes
> authenticate to a seperate private server of my own and is not associated to
> the public allstar network.  I can however add my node info into the
> rpt.conf on a public and private node and be able to access the public
> network from a private node...
>
> You can do what ever you want with it!
>
> Corey N3FE

> From: Shane Morris <edgecomberts at gmail.com>
> Date: Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 4:57 PM
> Subject: Re: Re : Re: [App_rpt-users] Fwd: Suitability of boot media
> To: pete M <petem001 at hotmail.com>
>

> Ok, I'm finding it hard to get my head around this, as I have held
> both amateur and commercial licences, and indeed used both.
>
> As far as I know, legislation in Australia wouldn't allow for me to
> arbitrarily - even by accident - link an amateur network to a
> commercial network. I'd lose all my licences, and probably my job. Not
> a good situation.
>
> However, according to Don, it sounds like hes doing precisely what I'm
> thinking. What he isn't explaining is what ARE the networks. Ok, its a
> large SIP network with an endpoint that just happens to be a ACiD
> install. Cool. But what does the ACiD install connect to? Amateur, or
> PMR? And if its commercial, how does he stop all the nice amateurs
> playing AllStar, as we do, from connecting to his PMR network, and
> thus not losing any licences?
>
> Look, these might be silly questions - but I'm told its "a radio
> network." Ok, theres many types of radio networks. I understand you
> guys mostly play amateur. I want to play commercial. Is that allowed?
>
> I mean, realistically, do you have any CBRS or GMRS endpoints on
> AllStar? If so, how does that work? If not, then its cause of the
> licences. I'm working under being totally in the dark about the
> licencing here.
>
> Would it help if I just described what I want to do, and someone gives
> me a "Yes it can be done" or "No you can't do that"?
>
> Thanks!
>
> On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 4:49 PM, pete M <petem001 at hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> If you dont use any linking that is not. On your licence I dont see why it
>> would not be ok. But I am notvthe best to answer that question

>>> 1.4, I know no piece of networked software is totally secure) so would