[App_rpt-users] Fun with Limey and HP T5710 so far

Tony KT9AC kt9ac at ameritech.net
Thu Feb 21 16:51:39 UTC 2013

Here are some notes from my first attempt to get Limey up and running on a T5710 Thin Client (1.2Ghz Transmeta Efferon, 512MB flash chip board (not drive) and 512MB ram - PM705AA model).
It's not as easy as the Drupal page would lead one to believe...Limey is actually ArchLinux and not CentOS like the ACID install is, so a lot of expected stuff doesn't work. I'm comfortable with Linux and willing to work through this, and perhaps a small group could write up their experiences with this tier of hardware on the Drupal site.
Notes:Downloaded PenDrive and Ubuntu server ISO to make a bootable 4GB USB drive (this allowed persistent storage of the cfimg files under the /cdrom/doc folder).Booted into USB Rescue and ran fdisk to delete two Windows partitions off of 512MB flash.Ran the "dd if=cfimg-1.1.5 of=/dev/sdb" and wrote out 128MB image just fine.Rebooted 5710 and it stuck at "USB Hub detected". Inserted above USB drive and it proceeded to a login prompt. It does not see the URI at this point. Tried the 1.1.4 and 1.1.5 version for VIA here. Tried the i686-1.1.5 version and it didn't even get this far.No "This is your first time..." script ran like the Drupal page says. No eth0 came up either.Found out Limey is actually "Archlinux" and found the commands to get on the internet.Ran "ip link set <ip> dev eth0 up" and "ip addr add <ip/netmask/> dev eth0"Was able to ping my default gateway and then edit /etc/resolv.conf to add "nameserver 8.8.8.8".How does one save changes back to
 the flash? The "svcfg" doesn't seem to exist...Once on the network, I switched to /usr/src and ran "getsrc" which downloaded Asterisk. I tried to do a "configure" but that failed. Read the README and did a usbradio_install but that also failed.This is a *really* stripped down version of Linux that uses 128MB of memory after installed. I am comfortable around Linux and CentOS and realize Limey isn't a beginner's O/S, one that I'm willing to work through.I might buy an 8GB USB drive and use that with a regular ACID install to get more functionality as a try of Ubuntu Server didn't have enough disk for an install (it did find all the devices just fine under Rescue mode since it's a newer distro), or perhaps CentOS 6.3 and roll my own compile of Allstar.
Comments/suggestions are welcome!Thanks,Tony