[App_rpt-users] Arch Linux version of allstar has been stable for 2 weeks now....

Shane Morris edgecomberts at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 22:11:29 UTC 2013

Interesting!

Certainly smaller than my FitPC, but you knew that, cheaper too. Its a
single core 1GHz x86, whereas my FitPC is a dual core 1GHz. I imagine
its all passively cooled Eric?

I was planning to run Allstar on a single core 1GHz ARM at some point
in the future, Anthony mentioned in his first post two weeks ago he
hopes to port the software to RaspberryPi (not to bring up the debate
again, I'm only mentioning it for completeness - my goal is to run
chan_voter, which DOESN'T need USB) and I think it would be simple to
port to other ARM platforms, for the sake of argument, the Beagle
Board, running newer kernel revisions.

My FitPC does get quite warm Eric, even under "no load" conditions.
I'm not entirely certain what it would do in 35+ degree Celsius heat
in the middle of the Australian bush. I hope "work fine," not
"explode"! So that might be a consideration for a totally passively
cooled unit.

My unit is going to be used to conduct a RTCM network, using
chan_voter. None of the USB interfaces will be used, say, for URIs or
other sound fobs. It'll be connected to the remote stations by long
shot wifi links (Ubiquiti Bullet2s and Loco2s over ethernet).

Eric, if you're going to use the USB ports on the 3350-AP, have a look
at the structure of the USB hubs inside the computer. That'll tell you
alot about whether you can use the sound fob with other devices, or
you'll run into issues like the RPi. USB performance is critical, and
I'm uncertain what the "on chip" USB ports would be like for such an
integrated chipset.

I hope this helps - technically, it should run it, from a "raw
performance" standpoint. However, the practicality might be a little
different. I do hope it works - please let me know how you go, I'm
rather interested! That is a cheaper computer than the FitPC!