[App_rpt-users] [Bulk] Issue with Hangup after first keying

Bryan D. Boyle bdboyle at bdboyle.com
Fri Jul 5 12:40:02 UTC 2013

On 7/5/2013 12:17 AM, Brett Friermood wrote:
> Replacing the air band radio with an amateur grade FM radio would be rather
> useless when trying to communicate with aircraft on VHF-AM. I'm sure Josh
> has a perfectly valid reason for using that radio.

Aware (painfully) of the diffferences, having owned a certificated (ie
could yellow-tag nav/comm/xpdr/mb/ils/etc) avionics shop years
ago...right about the time GPS came along (the KLN-88 was the hot
navigation device way back then...).

As long as the proper precautions were taken to not cross-service
connect...one service does not require an operator certificate (unless
traveling outside the US, in which case a restricted radiotelephone op
permit, IIRC, is required, though the aircraft station is licensed (call
sign is the N number)), the other requires both an op and station license.

IOW, you can't use 122.9 (multicom) as a simplex channel to bring up
your 145.25 repeater and talk to your mates....;)

Wasn't questioning what he was trying to do, just the mode, interface
differences, and equipment that he was using to do so.

bb