[App_rpt-users] Figured it out!

KJ6KO kj6ko at innercite.com
Sun Jul 28 02:28:36 UTC 2013

This must be a 900 maxtrac??  Don't know what other Maxtracs have
HEARCLEAR...and it will NOT do wideband!  2.5 KHz...that's it! (maybe a
little more)

Very few HAM's use HEARCLEAR!  Sounds compressed (because it is!).  There is
no reason to have to use it to get enough audio.  I have no problems with
ANY motorolas, Maxtrac(900 and UHF), Radius, GM300 etc.  Something else is
wrong!  Check your settings!

  You will play hell trying to align TX audio levels correctly with
hearclear on!   There is no dynamic range with it on...always full audio!

ALSO...If this is a 900 maxtrac, the rear mic connector does NOT use
hearclear nor is it pre-emphasized like all othe maxtracs!  ALSO, the 900 RX
from the rear (pin 11)  is ALWAYS flat regardless of JU551!  It is NEVER
de-emphasized!  All that is done in the mic jack.  That is why the 900's
have an extra board in the head on the mic board.  Leave the hearclear OFF!!
If you can't get enough audio, something else is wrong.

You said you "tied flat inside the maxtrac"???  Why inside and to what??
The 900 maxtrac has flat audio in on the rear connector.  ALL 900 maxtracs
are 16 pin maxtracs.

 I have 11 900 repeaters, all Maxtracs,(a couple GTX's) and do NOT use
hearclear on any of them, and have plenty of audio!!  Never had to use the
TXGAIN.

Since all the Maxtrac, Radius, GM300, M10, M120, GTX etc. all have the same
basic mic input levels, I would think others would have seen the same issue
you have.  Has to be a setting in the beagle board or one of the files.

Believe me, running hearclear only on the TX will increase all background
noise, flutter, RF noise etc.  Unless you want to run all your receivers
listening to it in Hearclear mode also, and that drives me nuts!  I've tried
it!  I can identify a hearclear radio within the first sentence spoken thru
it!  again, check your settings!

Good luck! and 73...