[App_rpt-users] ACID installation demanding weird login/password

Geoff w5omr at att.net
Fri Jun 14 13:19:59 UTC 2013

On 06/14/2013 04:48 AM, pete M wrote:
> Login: root
> Password: the password you typed during the installation.

There's a hiccup with that...

Whatever password you used to log into the portal with (which -can- have
special characters), can *not* have any 'special' characters. No, !, @,
#, $ etc... once you go to login and register your installation.

Having said that, I know you're asking about that log-in specifically,
but I thought I'd share my own experience.

As far as the ACID installation, when it asks you the first time for a
root password, make it something you can remember.  Write it down on a
sticky not, put it on the side of your monitor, whatever... you'll be
needing that password for root access at the log-in prompt.

To the general distribution:
As far as root access goes, I have a little issue with that... who, in
their right mind, would allow root access to the machine, via ssh?  From
a security standpoint, that's kinda like saying "once you're across the
moat, the keys to the castle aren't needed!"

My suggestion is, create a user
# useradd -m [_username_]

then set that user a password
# passwd [_username_]

and if you want that user (or more, if more users are defined) to have
admin access, add them to the /etc/sudoers file.

What's the /etc/sudoers file, you ask?

## Sudoers allows particular users to run various commands as
## the root user, without needing the root password.
##
## Examples are provided at the bottom of the file for collections
## of related commands, which can then be delegated out to particular
## users or groups.
##
## This file must be edited with the 'visudo' command.

## Host Aliases
## Groups of machines. You may prefer to use hostnames (perhap using
## wildcards for entire domains) or IP addresses instead.
# Host_Alias     FILESERVERS = fs1, fs2
# Host_Alias     MAILSERVERS = smtp, smtp2

## User Aliases
## These aren't often necessary, as you can use regular groups
## (ie, from files, LDAP, NIS, etc) in this file - just use %groupname
## rather than USERALIAS
# User_Alias ADMINS = jsmith, mikem
etc, etc, etc...

Full root access via ssh is a -bad- idea.

-Geoff/W5OMR