[App_rpt-users] Anyone Virtualizing?

Bryan D. Boyle bdboyle at bdboyle.com
Wed Jun 26 19:16:08 UTC 2013

On 6/26/2013 2:58 PM, David KE6UPI wrote:
> The URI will not work with a virtual server. Not true. I have done it with
> VMWare.

Seems to me, though, it's just layering another level of complexity on
something that is relatively simple to set up and get working quickly
without having to add in the hypervisor, hardware configuration, network
interfaces, hardware assignments etc. to the mix.

If your heart is set on virtualizing it, get it running stand alone so
you can get through the process and work the bugs out and then move to a
virtual box.  That way, any bogosity that happens at that stage can be
worked on without having to scratch your head whether it's centos 5.6,
asterisk, app_rpt, usbconfig, usbradio tuning, or vm/xen/? etc.

As for bashing IRLP, it lends itself to being almost an oxymoronic
effort.  That, and the closed nature and shortsightedness of some...the
greed and lack of tech chops of Cameron, and the refusal of the League
to recognize Asterisk as a legit linking system...and keep it out of the
repeater directory (which is pretty useless in and of itself, which is a
different rant...)...well...guess some still watch B&W 4:3 TV too.

As for AM Stereo...I have a Kahn exciter here that does AM stereo...:)
And some turntables.  And ITC cart machines.  And an AT&T speakerphone
and box of dial phones.  and a Dataphone 1200 (wow!).  Nothing wrong
with paleolithic technology.

LOL.

BB