[App_rpt-users] Motorola Phone Patch (Bob - AF6D)

Don Hackler donh at sigma.net
Sun Mar 3 17:48:33 UTC 2013

As far as I know, the ohnosec.org mailing list is still the "official" support mechanism.

Are the weather receivers going to be at the mountains or can they be at the datacenter?
If they are are at the datacenter, you can use DMK engineering URI interfaces connected with USB directly to the AllStar server.
If they are remote, then put them on RTCMs and shoot the data back to the server over ethernet.

Just make sure you configure everything properly with respect to pre-emphasized and non pre-emphasized audio.
The system can use either mode on a radio by radio basis…  The built in DSP will do the conversions for you as needed.
CTCSS/digital PL tone detection/generation can be done in the system as well.

You can script pretty much anything you want the WX receivers to do at the server level (i.e. sending the WX alerts to the proper repeaters….)
and interrogating the WX receivers using DTMF commands front the repeaters.

My only concern from a voting/simulcast point of view is this:

Are the two repeaters on the same output frequency, and if so, do they overlap coverage areas?
The simulcast mode is not quite ready for prime time in that situation.  (the RF and audio timing in the overlap areas is not as good as it needs to be
so you will actually interfere with yourself….)  If the sites are different output frequencies, or there is no overlap area you are concerned about,
then the simulcast will work.

When you use the GPS receivers on the RTCM units, the RX voting works very well. but there is a delay in the repeated audio.
(similar to a cellphone or Nextel delay)
The RX voting is seamless.  Without monitoring it on the server you won't even know it switched.

Disclaimer:  I've never done the voting/simulcast game, but there is a group here in the San Francisco Bay area experimenting with it.