[App_rpt-users] Add p25 channel driver chan_usrp to app_rpt distro

ikjtel ikj1234i at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 5 17:23:26 UTC 2013

Greetings

Permit a brief intro - I'm a contributor to the op25 project - which is a "not-for-profit project to bring together folks that are interested in
implementing APCO P25  ... under the GNU Public License (GPL)."

We currently have a software release that includes an asterisk channel driver (that was designed for use with app_rpt) - for more info please see the wiki page which is

  http://op25.osmocom.org/wiki/wiki/RepeaterPage

The current method for installation of chan_usrp consists of copying the two files chan_usrp.c and chan_usrp.h from our source tree into asterisk/channels, and then doing a source build.

That procedure is described at the above linked wiki page but it seems to be causing a lot of pain for our users to compile everything, I was wondering if it might be possible to merge this channel driver into the distro that you have.  It should be fairly innocuous - it was simply cloned from chan_rtpdir (IIRC) with our additions.

There is still much work to do such as proper P25 handling of DTMF digits and working out analog vs. digital repeating.  Nonetheless, app_rpt provides an excellent set of semantics for doing two-way PTT via P25, and it provides a nice bridge for doing true simultaneous multi-channel ops.

Even without proper DTMF support and even though repeating currently requires a redundant digital/analog/digital conversion process in order to fit into the app_rpt model, the current capability exists to transmit and receive P25 using either the Ettus USRP hardware or using conventional NBFM transmitter and receiver radios and supports simultaneous real time multi-channel operation in FDX...

73

Max
KA1RBI