[App_rpt-users] Acid Install issue

Benjamin L. Naber Benjamin at kb9lfz.com
Fri May 10 01:49:13 UTC 2013

If I were you, I would not use Wi-Fi, especially if you are connecting
to a home wireless router / access point.

I can see and understand the advantages of Wi-Fi, but when it comes to
time sensitive RTP packets, unless it's the only user of Wi-Fi, then you
are going to have issues when the Wi-Fi has more users.

Also, while you may setup a Wi-Fi router/access point just for the
allstar node, you need to account for the other folks in your area (if
any) that are already using Wi-Fi or around the same frequency that you
setup the node on. Remember that bandwidth of some Wi-Fi modes are as
small as 1 MHz, and will run as much as 40 MHz.

If you have an Android phone, download the app called "Wifi Analyzer".
You have a decent idea who else is using Wi-Fi around you. You can also
download a program for Windoz called "Netstumbler" also detects Wi-Fi
access points, but with better range.

May I suggest you just run an Ethernet cable to it? It will save you
some headaches, as well is trying to find the drivers for it for the
Wi-Fi card.

Allstar is just a specialized configuration of Asterisk. Asterisk will
run on just about any Linux distribution. It may run on other operating
systems, but I have never used Asterisk on anything but Linux.

If you have an Ubuntu Desktop (or Server) version running on a laptop or
desktop, you can install asterisk, and then manually enter in the
programming you get from the allstarlink.org website. It's not any
secret, just will take a while to do a lot of configuration changes.
Some folks have done that because they have other things they are doing
with Allstar and the machines that has it also does other functions.
After a couple higher priority projects are completed, I will be rolling
my own as well.

www.ohnosec.org and allstarlink.org well help you setup ACiD, as well as
assist with other configuration changes. It's really as simple as
following the prompts for downloading the preconfigured "server" and
"node" on your machine.

~Benjamin, KB9LFZ
Allstar node 28569