[App_rpt-users] allstar control

Bryan D. Boyle bdboyle at bdboyle.com
Wed Oct 16 12:38:11 UTC 2013

Because, in the interest of maintaining control over our systems as required by Part 97 here in the states...sometimes it is necessary, acknowledging that it is an open system and should be free for all, if we so desire, to still be able to block other systems or users which, in our estimation, are abusing, causing interference, or not acting appropriately.  NO ONE I know of wants to do this randomly or out of spite.  It is not a popular topic because it flies in the face of the great community this technology has enabled.  But, like the 'Endless September', as it becomes more known, the potential (unfortunate) for having to take steps to protect the integrity of the network and the connected nodes also becomes more apparent.

Yes, we could take it private.  Yes, we could disconnect from the net.  Yes, we could run it standalone.  but that would reduce its flexibility to the sysop community.  So, like in the days of the old bbs community, and usenet leaf node managers, and the like, being connected to a net requires the operators to exercise certain functions...and users to respect certain limits on their use of systems they have the privilege to use.

--
Bryan
Sent from my iPhone 5...small