[App_rpt-users] Static IP

Bryan D. Boyle bdboyle at bdboyle.com
Fri Oct 18 20:11:41 UTC 2013

let's see...why would you use static instead of dhcp?

1. one less item to try and figure out once set.
2. single point/simple configuration.
3. network is subnetted more finely than a /24 with firewalls between segments
4. if someone is having difficulties figuring out how to config an ip on a server, sending them into the bowels of a router to hardwire a mac address (and where to find it in the multiciplicity of web front ends)... it's probably easier to nail the server down to get it working than to figure out advanced router settings.  simple is good.  in making things more flexible, sometime the stuff under the hood adds complexity on the other side.

in 20-something years of running everything from a class a network (12.x.x.x), through a class b (159.70.x.x) to having my own registered full class c,
in my experience, i've found it more reliable to set servers on a fixed address, reserving dhcp for the transients.  but, that's me.  saves a step, is predictable, and less painful.  but, that's me.
--
Bryan
Sent from my iPhone 5...small