[App_rpt-users] Old link

Jim W7RY w7ry at centurytel.net
Mon Oct 21 04:39:04 UTC 2013

This makes no sense:

/Half Duplex Radios//
//Half duplex radios will require the use of a second node which has had
the transmit level properly set, and is not transmitting a CTCSS tone.
The second node must be receivable by your service monitor or deviation
meter but does not need to be co-located with the node undergoing the
receive level adjustment. The CODEC used to send audio to the second
node must either be uLAW or ADPCM. The GSM codec will give inaccurate
results./

//

 1. /Using the Asterisk CLI, connect the node to be adjusted to the
    transmit node: //|rpt fun yournodenum *3txnodenum|/
 2. /Monitor the deviation of the second node's transmitter on the
    service monitor while simultaneously injecting a 1KHz tone at 3KHz
    on the receiver on the first node. /
 3. /Adjust the receive level pot until you see 3KHz of deviation on the
    transmit frequency. /
 4. /Disable the signal on the receiver. The receive audio level is now
    set. /
 5. /Disconnect the receive node from the transmitter: //|rpt fun
    yournodenum *1txnodenum|/

Why use another node to set levels on a simplex node?

I use this procedure for simplex and duplex nodes. Works perfectly:

*Adjusting Audio Levels
This howto describes how to properly set audio levels on an ACID system
interfaced to a radio.

Required Equipment
Communications service monitor, or deviation meter and FM signal generator.

Preliminary Checks
Modify the config files for the type of radios you have (repeater or
halfduplex)
and the type of carrier
detection you want to do.
Make sure your radio is connected to the USB interface and turned on
before proceeding.
Procedure

 From the Asterisk CLI, (to get into the Asterisk CLI, type asterisk r
from a root shell) set the
receiver noise baseline (with no signal on the receiver frequency) as
follows:
radio tune rxnoise

Set the receive audio input level by suppling an FM signal at 1KHz with
3KHz of deviation (with no
CTCSS) on the receiver's frequency. then once the signal is present, type:
radio tune rxvoice

Set the CTCSS tone level by supplying a CTCSS tone at 600Hz deviation
your desired frequency (with
no other modulation), and type:
radio tune rxtone

Save the receiver levels by typing:
radio tune save

Set the CTCSS tone level to zero by typing:

radio tune txtone 0

To set the transmit audio level, monitor the transmitter with a
deviation meter and start with
the setting of 500 (which is the midpoint) by typing:
radio tune txvoice 500

This will cause the transmitter to be keyed, and a brief tone be sent so
that you can measure the
transmit audio level with your deviation meter or service monitor. The
last parameter is an audio level
setting with a range of 000 to 999. Set the number to that which gives
you 3KHz of deviation.

Repeat the radio tune txvoice command using different numbers
(successive approximation) until
you get the desired 3 KHz of deviation.

Set the TX CTCSS tone level by typing the following:
radio tune txtone 500

This will cause the transmitter to be keyed, and a brief CTCSS tone be
sent so that you can measure the
TX CTCSS level with your deviation meter or service monitor.

The last parameter is a TXCTCSS level
setting with a range of 000 to 999. Set the number to that which gives
you 0.6 KHz of deviation.
Repeat the radio tune command using different numbers until you get the
desired 0.6 KHz of deviation.

Save the settings by typing
radio tune save

You may now test the setup to see if the audio levels are acceptable.*

73
Jim W7RY