[App_rpt-users] Cylon Suppression

David Osborn david.osborn at manx.net
Sun Sep 1 16:58:51 UTC 2013

"#1) MAJOR SECURITY RED FLAG!!!  You give regular users access to the
OPERATING SYSTEM at the COMMAND LINE LEVEL?"

What? I never said that, and I wouldn't do it. Command line access to the
OS? Do you think I'm that stupid? How would you do that with a DTMF command
(ilink,4 = "Remote Command Mode")? As I understand it, ilink,4 simply relays
DTMF commands from one node to another. I fail to see how that's a security
risk.

For info, SSH (command line) access to my nodes has password access disabled
and a pre-shared key is required. Nobody gets a copy of that but me, and
that means that nobody gets "access to the OPERATING SYSTEM at the COMMAND
LINE LEVEL" but me. I don't understand why that got you hyperventilating.
Perhaps you misunderstood.

What I'm trying to achieve is design a macro, or macro/script combination
that accepts a DTMF command from a user on one of my local nodes and then
performs the required steps to make an outgoing link from my hub to another
Echolink node.

As it happens, I think I've achieved that since I posted. I'm still
fine-tuning, but the user simply enters a short-form DTMF sequence and the
system takes over and sets-up the link. Another short sequence takes the
link down again. All without Cylon activity, and all without anyone ever
getting command-line access.

I am fortunate to live in an environment where paranoia is largely
unjustified. In any case, the available commands on my nodes are the usual
basics and practically no-one ever tries them, so they remain as they came
"out of the box" - well, mostly.