[App_rpt-users] SIP VoIP for Asterisk

Dwaine Garden VE3GIF DwaineGarden at rogers.com
Thu Sep 5 18:07:58 UTC 2013

The problem is you are not allowed by law to have a phone without unrestricted access to 911.  I had Metro Toronto police at my door explaining that even if I block 911 to any outside connections I would be breaking the law.  If you have a server on the internet with sip.  They have to able to connect to be able to call 911.

I told the police it was retard.  They told me that was fine they will charge me.

Police told me that even if someone breaks into your house.  If there is a phone install,  the criminals better have access to dial 911 unrestrictive.

The hackers did not get into the box.  They were trying for months.   Got pissed off and changed their script to dial 911 constantly.  SIP and DID see a 911 call.  It dials it.  No questions asked.  No login or nothing.

The Police told me it was a huge problem.  SIP or DID are setup like a public pay phone.  Full access to 911.

It was an eye opener for me.   You learn something new everyday.  If I see someone asking about SIP or DID.  I let them know about my experience.