[App_rpt-users] Distorted audio in app_rpt/Allstar

Bryan D. Boyle bdboyle at bdboyle.com
Thu Sep 12 12:35:14 UTC 2013

it is more a function, i think, and this is based on my experiments, of how well the USB was executed on the motherboard, or whether it was done just 'good enough' to handle the predicted keyboard and mouse and probably not much else.

i had the same problems when i migrated my 3 nodes off a toshiba laptop (!) onto an HP mini-tower, strangely enough.  ran fine on the laptop.  stuttering and drop outs on the HP, which was 4 years newer.

put in a USB card on the bus rather than using the motherboard USB ports.  has been working fine for the last 2 years.  has to do with the priorities on the motherboard, speed at which the packets can be processed, bios to handle the device routines, etc.  Add in the psychoacoustic effects...it's not as clear cut as to why or where the issue lies.

but, consider that USB is a compromise design...you want real time industrial strength audio and control, i think Duuude may have some PRI boards still available which will do the trick...:)

--
Bryan
Sent from my iPhone 5...small