[App_rpt-users] RaspberryPi Compute Module

Doug Crompton doug at crompton.com
Wed Apr 9 03:04:34 UTC 2014

Interesting but I don't think it will differ much in performance from the stock RPi just flexibility. The problem is the USB on the RPi and to some extent also on the BBB but I think the real problem is the app_rpt SW. Many other applications using the same resources  and bandwidths are running on these platforms using USB without the problems I am seeing with app_rpt. App_rpt is old code and in many ways outdated at least in the the IO area. Unless someone does a fairly extensive rewrite of the code I don't think it is going to happen on the Arm processors. There are periodic dropouts using USB (not associated with radio relax) even on PC processors it is just much more pronounced on the arm processors.

When you run an Asterisk PBX on a RPi or BBB the CPU load is nil even when active. As soon as you introduce app_rpt even without radios (pseudo connections) or activity you see 20-30% CPU utilization. While the CPU utilization is not the main problem it sure does not help on a small system.
I intend to keep plugging away at this but my expectations have been lessened. I am thinking of the possibility of an external USB interface, like Thelinkbox interfaced to asterisk might be a temporary fix. It apparently works well with USB on the ARM. This would also be an inexpensive way to connect remote radios to a server.

If anyone has any ideas on this I would like to hear from you. There are several who have contacted me and perhaps we can form a group working towards a common goal.

73 Doug
WA3DSP
http://www.crompton.com/hamradio