[App_rpt-users] RTCM Commands

Wayne wayne at anywherehost.net
Sat Apr 19 04:56:46 UTC 2014

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I appreciate it. I will reply inline
for clarity.

-----

Hi Wayne,

I re-read some earlier messages in this and related threads, to better
understand your systems design goals. And, the earlier threads have left
me with even more questions. From what I read, you've got a substantially
complex system planned. It's going to take some expert level work with
radios and computer networking to get setup, no matter what solution you
choose.  I believe it's all quite do-able with AllStar, but, is well
beyond the scope of this mailing list.

To address your specific questions, below:

1) Selling RC-210's should be simple enough (E-bay?).

[ I thought I saw something about not reselling them. At a minimum they have
to buy the software. ]

2) Since you've got a private network and a public network involved,
that's fine. But, this is a somewhat complex networking task. You'll need
to get everything "talking together." I'm suspecting you'll want to
implement some VPN's (Virtual Private Networks) to accomplish this. I use
OpenVPN under Linux. It works great. BTW, I'm not sure RTCM's are the best
solution. And, you don't need a Windows box at each site.

[ My intent is to vote/simulcast two of three sites and bring in a third
site on a different pair. Site 1-2 require a RTCM and Site 3 a URI, correct?
][ I've never done anything with a VPN and don't know how to implement it. I
thought that given to IP's by my site vendor the RTCM's would talk on the
same network, albeit a VLAN. But how do I access it to control? How can I
bridge the public IP I have been given with the private VLAN? ]

2) There is an small, unavoidable audio delay from audio input to output
with AllStar. This is typical with any VoIP radio system, including full
digital systems like D-Star and DMR, etc. This delay isn't like the delay
found in traditional analog linked repeater systems, however. In older
linked systems, you'd have to hold the PTT down for a second or so to
allow all the transmitters to come on-line or you'd loose that initial
audio. AllStar digitally buffers the audio during propagation from any
member receiver to all member transmitters. So, the audio could be
buffered and delayed as much as several hundred milliseconds (a big
network!). But, not typically lost.

[ I can deal with the delay. ]

3) As for persistent kerkhunkers and other issues, no hardware is going to
solve that. That is an etiquette problem. Over time, (most) users can be
trained to behave. Yes, I know you're saying: "Yeah, right. I hear you."
But, I help with several wide-coverage repeater systems, so, I've been
there, too.

[ Jammer's that kerchunk to annoy cannot be trained. ]

4) Yes, you can hook various systems together (WX radios, remote bases,
etc.) into a single network quite easily with AllStar. But, it will likely
take some complex scripting and networking to do, just like with any
controller. I don't fully understand the scope of what you're wanting and
as I mentioned above, trying to build the system here is beyond the scope
of this mailing list.

[ I don't mean to be rude but this should be an easy task to do and
understand. We are an ECOMM repeater(s) and each site needs a WX receiver on
it. The commercial WX receivers have audio, COR, PTT and COS. I don't see
how this is beyond the scope of the mailing list. Can I connect such a
device using a URI? ]

I understand your overwhelm! I would recommend getting started in small
steps, if possible. First, only put up a test repeater or remote base with
AllStar and get a grasp of how that is setup. Then, add a second AllStar
box and network the two together--take small steps. Now, if that's not a
possibility--meaning you've got to have the whole system on-line "like
tomorrow", you probably need to locate some expert help ASAP; due to the
big learning curve with this (or any other) complex VoIP system.

[ I have plenty of time. I don't see our needs as complex at all. Two
voted/simulcast repeaters and a third repeater linked in. A WX receiver and
an Earthquake Alarm receiver on each repeater. ]

Anyway, I hope this helps some.

73, David KB4FXC