[App_rpt-users] Occasional URI Glitch

Dave k7dmk.1 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 14 18:30:18 UTC 2014

have a later model URI (CM119A) on my backyard repeater currently
running the newest build of Acid. I use WOL to start up the 1U
Supermicro Atom powered server every AM to bring up the repeater since
it is only on about 14-16 Hrs/day. I do this by dialling an extension on
my Asterisk home phone system. A WOL command gets fired off to start the
server. When Asterisk starts on the Acid box, a GPIO pin on the URI
turns on a SSR to power up the repeater hardware.

Occasionally, maybe once in 15 or 20 times, the machine seems to come up
normally, but the id and transmit audio is very low level and distorted.
The only way to fix it is to unplug the USB connector from the URI and
plug it back in. This resets the URI and all is good until the next time
it happens. Updating CentOS/Acid/Asterisk over the last year has not
helped. I suspect that some register in the CM119A is getting corrupted
while the machine is down.

I have tried a USB reset script I found that sends a bus reset command
to the C-Media USB port. I identified it's device id with the lsusb
command and inserted the proper bus and device id into the script. I
then added the script to rc.local to run it each time the computer
boots. It does appear to reset the bus, but it does not clear the
problem. Remotely rebooting or powering down the computer via DTMF does
not help either since USB power normally stays on. The only way to clear
the problem is to interrupt the USB power and create a power up reset
state for the URI.

Has anyone else seen this behavior?  Any ideas short of some actual
hardware to interact with the USB power supply? A IP controlled power
switch could work, but it seems a bit of a overkill.

It's not a show-stopper with the repeater in my house, but when the
system gets moved to a remote location it will be.

Sorry if this gets double-posted, I inadvertently used a different email
address the first time.

Thanks, K7DMK