[App_rpt-users] App_rpt-users Digest, Vol 60, Issue 7

Brett Friermood brett.friermood at gmail.com
Mon Feb 3 01:30:10 UTC 2014

The remote base way won't scale beyond two sites while still keeping
only a single RTCM per site and keeping the repeaters separate. As
soon as another transmitter on the other band is plugged in it will
transmit no matter what receiver is receiving.

Yes, the terms can get a little confusing when you start messing with
non-standard configurations. I generally use the following:

A site is a physical location on a map, usually holding a collection
of RF hardware, or otherwise defined as where an RTCM(s) sits.

A node is a virtual resource existing only within the Asterisk
framework and is used to do things including linking to others.

A repeater is an RF resource consisting of a transmitter and receiver,
which may involve different bands or locations (sites), but function
simultaneously.

A system consists of multiple pieces of something. Adding links
between otherwise standalone repeaters creates a system. I would
define multiple sites using voted receivers and simulcast transmitters
as a voted/simulcast repeater system. The individual sites do not
necessarily contain a repeater because other parts of the system are
needed to function. The entire system, however, is a repeater.

I understand what you are trying to do as far as the distributed sites
to provide the required coverage and reduce duplexer costs. The one
thing we have yet to pin you down on is whether the 2m repeater and 6m
repeater should exist separately on RF or if they are really just one
system? In other words, should a 2m only radio be able to talk to a 6m
only radio a) all the time, b) never, or c) only when linked?

Brett KQ9N