[App_rpt-users] App_rpt-users Digest, Vol 60, Issue 39

Chuck Henderson rpt2 at chuck.midlandsnetworking.com
Wed Feb 12 10:01:10 UTC 2014

I also had issues on 40 and 80 causing the USB fobs to have problems.  My
solution was to add big ferrites with multiple turns on both ends of  the
USB cable and individual ferrites on each audio line and control line
(multiple turns) at both ends of the cable between the USB device and the
radio, and also a big ferrite at each end of the USB device to radio cable
with multiple turns of the entire cable.  Also I found that there are 2
different grounds in the USB fobs.  The ground that goes to the audio out
jack is different than the ground that goes to the audio in jack.  I use
only the ground that goes to the audio in jack.  After all this I was able
to run 100 watts on 80 and 160 with no problems.  The only grounds between
my computer and the radio are that both use 3 prong 120volt AC power cords
that are plugged into the same UPS, and the small ground wire in the USB
device to radio cable described above. The radio is only about 3 feet from
the computer but the cable is about 8 foot long so that I could make all
the turns through the ferrite core.
Chuck