[App_rpt-users] App_rpt-users Digest, Vol 60, Issue 81

Steve Wright stevewrightnz at gmail.com
Thu Feb 27 19:05:44 UTC 2014

Re: Voted Simulcast Configuration Questions (Caleb Pal)

> 3.) Thunderbolt to RTCM: Is there documentation on this interface? Is it
> serial between the two or is there a 1 PPS signal as well?

Ask @micronode.com.  The 10MHz signal from the GPSDO either phase-locks the
transcievers' clock, or replaces the clock completely.  There are circuit
diagrams of the RTCM online if you google them..

> 4.) Latency/Jitter: What is the top end of the latency the
> Voting/Simulcast system can handle? We are working on getting a private
> VLAN over Fiber between our two sites, but until the funding for that
> becomes available, we will be working over the internet and a VPN.

You can add a fixed delay in the config that will be greater than the
networks' latency, so as to mask problems so they don't appear at on the
repeaters as "problems".

My prediction is the VLAN will be sufficient, but the VPN will suffer
connectivity problems.  I've never really seen a reliable PPP based VPN -
they are regularly up and down for seemingly no reason at all.  Cue regular
unexplained dropouts for some 2-200 seconds with no real chance at
diagnosis.  Frankly, I don't like VLANs either - rather plain ol' ethernet
or directly routed IP is best, and avoid all the trickery-doo on top of the
real thing.

 Sounds like you're having fun with that. ;)

Steve