[App_rpt-users] WARNING: Filing an abuse complaint to unsubscribe will result in you being permanently banned from this mailing list

Geoff ars.w5omr at gmail.com
Sun Jan 19 18:51:22 UTC 2014

On 01/19/2014 12:31 PM, Stephen Rodgers wrote:
> I am issuing a stern warning to those too lazy to go through the proper mechanism to unsubscribe from this list. If you
> don't visit the app-rpt mailing list and unsubscribe using http://ohnosec.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/app_rpt-users,
> and file an abuse complaint with your ISP instead, your email address will be PERMANENTLY BANNED. You will end being
> unable to subscribe to the list in the future.
>
> I've had to explain to our ISP several times why these abuse complaints happen, and the rate of complaints has been
> increasing over the last several months.
>
> Abuse complaints from ISP's are serious business, and could result in the web hosting company canceling our account we
> get too many of them over a certain amount of time.
>
> Moral of the story: If you want to unsubscribe, don't take the low road and file an abuse complaint with your ISP. Take
> the time to do it correctly by doing a web search for app_rpt mailing list and following the instructions there.

I'm confused, Steve.

Didn't this skillet-heads have to go through the proper mechanism to
subscribe to the list?

Why isn't it common sense to use the same mechanism to UN-subscribe?

Seems I saw an 'unsubscribe' request float out on the list a week (or
3?) ago...

Who doesn't know you don't enter list option commands through the list?

What really fires my ass up is that these are -supposed- to be
knowledgeable, Amateur Radio operators who possess sufficient knowledge
in computer networking, and wiring radio connections.

There was a UK station that hooked up to our network, yesterday - said
"Qsk Qsk Qsk from The U.K. This is call sign)."  I rejected my first
impulse to say "Q-signals are for CW operators, for short cuts", but WTH
does QSK (in this context) mean, and why hasn't he learned of CQ?  Or,
since we're on FM, just throw your callsign out there?  If someone
-wants- to talk to you, they will!

A pet-peeve (since we're talking about stupid people)...
"This is ("call-sign") monitoring".  Announcing that you're listening
around is Redundant.  Just your callsign transmitted on the air is all
that's needed.

This, as I'm taking a break from re-writing my rpt.conf file to include
a new simplex node... perhaps a little frustration on my part (trying to
research commands...) and a spark to ignite got me fired up.

I'll go crawl back under my rock, now.

-Geoff/W5OMR
29655
29656