[App_rpt-users] This Messed Up List!

Robert A. Poff wb3awj at comcast.net
Tue Jul 8 03:01:54 UTC 2014

Or it might the same cause as I've seen on other lists.....

The following from the Collins Collector list :
----------------

To our CCA List Customers

It is time to make some adjustments with how we use, and perceive, the
collins at listserve.com <mailto:collins at listserve.com>  reflector.

The rules of the "BIG GAME" are changing. The major ISPs have now adopted
traffic handling and SPAM trapping rules and processes that make it much
more difficult to freely pass reflector traffic on the internet.

The result that we see most often is reflector posts that disappear out into
nowhere (coming and going) and batch banning of one or more ISPs emails.

Most recently all yahoo.com <http://yahoo.com>  (including sbcglobal,
bellsouth and AT&T), AOL and Comcast.com <http://Comcast.com>  emails were
blocked by these "rules" and the result was fatal bounces back to the
listserve reflector - causing the listserve reflector to disconnect the
yahoo, aol and Comcast email accounts involved.

This results in a great deal of traffic for our IT support guys, and for me,
whereas the problem is really centric to listserve itself - but caused by
one or more of the big ISPs perceiving that listserve is SPAM - and blocking
them.

This may seem a bit complicated. It is.and the bottom line is that we no
longer have control over fixing this. We are going to have to learn to live
with it.

As an email user, this should:

a) Make you mad, and

b) cause you to really question why you would want to use an email provider
that is associated with a major ISP.

The best solution to this entire mess - and it is a mess - is to go to an
email account that is not associated with an ISP.  We recommend gmail or
Microsoft hosted exchange mail.

In the long term, this means that if you - for some reason - switch ISPs,
you will not have to change your email address at all.

Bottom line (because it is now completely out of our control), we - the
moderator and the list administrators - can no longer be responsible for
fixing things when you are dumped from the listserve reflector because of
bounces caused by your own ISP and their policies.

We HIGHLY recommend particularly that everyone with a yahoo, aol or Comcast
email address switch to gmail or hosted exchange by Microsoft. This goes way
beyond your use of the reflector.

Sorry for the bad news, but it is what it is.  Like I said - times change.

As a result of all of the above, we are also modifying the reflector rules
and guidelines to document that we strongly suggest that those people that
are now using a yahoo or Comcast email address not use the reflector with
that address. We will also note, that because this is out of our control, we
are no longer going to try and fix it. It is now up to you - the email user
- to go bang your head against that door with your ISP.
--
Sent from my Android phone with K-9 Mail