[App_rpt-users] temporarily disable echolink

Buddy Brannan buddy at brannan.name
Mon Jun 23 17:56:35 UTC 2014

Bear in mind that, while this is a great solution (I use this myself), outbound Echolink connections can still be made from the node that isn’t defined as Echolink if it’s on the same machine.

For example, my radio is on node 2331. I have Echolink on node 25829. So if I want to hear stations connected to me via Echolink, I have to connect 2331 to 28529, both on the same machine. Any station that initiates a connection to my Echolink node connects to 28529. However, even if I have 28529 disconnected from my radio node 2331, I can initiate connections to Echolink nodes, even though the node that incoming connections are on is disconnected.

I therefore make it a practice to remotely control 28529 and make all my Echolink connections from there, just to keep things straight in my head. I forget occasionally.

BTW, Echolink stations have told me that my node isn’t the only one that does the following thing, so I wonder if anyone knows why, or even better, knows how to fix it. If I have more than, say, 2 or 3 Echolink stations connected, Echolink starts sounding “watery”, or has audio dropouts, or anyway, outgoing audio suffers quite a lot. All downstream audio, that is to say, audio coming into the node and being transmitted out the All Star radio, always sounds fantastic. Asterisk connections sound great both ways. Echolink, however, starts sounding awful for anything coming out of, though not going into, the All Star/Echolink connection. So if you’re listening to my node on Echolink, you’ll hear pretty rotten upstream audio. If you listen locally to all other stations, everything sounds beautiful. My suspicion is some transcoding issue, but I wonder if anyone else has a clue about this? Or am I even explaining it in a way that makes sense?