[App_rpt-users] Pulse Back

Tim Sawyer tim.sawyer at mac.com
Sat Jun 28 14:05:42 UTC 2014

Two seconds is a very long squelch tail. I’m guessing it’s the repeater hang time you’re talking about. Squelch tail is the white noise burst that occurs at unkey. You’re not hearing two seconds of white noise, are you? Hang time is the delay a repeater adds to the carrier after a user unkeys.

Attempting to fix hang time ‘pulse back’ is probably not workable because your users, particularly the far end users, are not likely to realize they have wait that long. Also hang time, courtesy tones and repeater IDs may be propagated across the VoIP network which is a definite no-no.

In band linking (i.e. where the link operates on the user repeater pair) is generally poor practice. But it is done more or less successfully by either passing user P/L tone through the repeater or configuring the repeater to send P/L tone only while there is a signal on the input. That allows the link radio to decode P/L and preventing the hang time and other issues mentioned above.

Having said that, there is a ‘pulse back’ parameter in app_rpt called rxondelay. It’s documented here http://ohnosec.org/drupal/node/170