[App_rpt-users] Debian Wheezy and RPi update

Doug Crompton doug at crompton.com
Sun Mar 23 04:21:45 UTC 2014

In my tests of the Pi I wanted to see if there were any issues using Allstar on Debian on a PC so I compiled it up on Debian Wheezy latest stable release and it works fine. I see no reason why Allstar could not be used on Debian. Is anyone else running Allstar with Debian on a PC?
I am still running into problems with the Pi which seems to revolve around the USB interface. The Pi suffers from some real problems in the USB area. A rewrite of the Pi USB driver is underway but it is hard to say what the outcome will be, so far it has not fixed the problem. The Asterisk PBX community has had similar problems and the answer was the Beagle Black. I have one on order. It is $10 more than the Pi but has a stronger processor and apparently no USB problems.

As I reported earlier the Pi does work with Allstar but has to be run in USB 1.1 mode. This results in delays that probably would be unacceptable to most people especially in repeater mode. That being said I am hopeful that in another month or two there might be something of production quality but maybe not on the Pi. Sorry for getting everyones hopes up and then having to report this but stay tuned.

73 Doug
WA3DSP
http://www.crompton.com/hamradio