[App_rpt-users] Allstar RPi notes

Doug Crompton doug at crompton.com
Wed Mar 26 02:14:50 UTC 2014

A broke this off into a new thread as it does not apply to the dahdi fix. So carrying on with the last question asked in that thread...

The question is often asked, well the RPi works well as an Asterisk PBX so why not Allstar? When running a PBX you generally interface via Ethernet using an FXO/FXS analog adapter, a direct digital phone, or to another PBX. The USB interface is not used except for a keyboard and mouse in not run headless. With Allstar the RPi acts as a server (PBX in phone terms) and also an audio adapater via USB. Therein lies the problem. The interface via USB is flakey.

Another question might be that the RPi has a multimedia iso that can stream video and audio to a TV so why can't it do Allstar correctly. Again the answer is that the USB is not being used. The video and audio come out over the RPi HDMI port.

The server part of Allstar on the RPi seems to work fine. It works flawlessly with either locally or remotely connected iaxrpt. I also think it would work fine connected to an RTCM. Anyone want to try that? I don't have one. Of course this would be an expensive interface to connect to a Pi but if one had a really scaled down RTCM Ethernet to analog radio adapter it would probably work. Like an FXS for radio. That is what we really need a less than $100 Ethernet radio adapter. It, like the RTCM, could be run locally or remotely interfaced to a radio. Everything would be done over Ethernet. The Chinese could build it for $30. If DMK built it it might cost $150.

It might be too much work to finagle all this stuff just to prove an RPi can work since there are already other albeit a little more expensive board choices and more coming in the future. I am writing this to foster your ideas!

73 Doug
WA3DSP
http://www.crompton.com/hamradio